People who spend their holidays at a campsite often comment that they love the free time that camping allows them. It is true that there are a lot of activities, but it also reduces some of the distractions of everyday life. Moreover, it is the perfect time to enjoy doing things with your children that may not be easy the rest of the year. In the following lines we will focus on the best board games to play as a family. First, we want you to know why it is such a beneficial alternative.
What are the advantages of board games for families?
Many parents rightly complain about the many hours their children spend watching television, using mobile devices or simply playing video games. But the truth is that in many cases there are no attractive alternatives for children and adolescents.
It is undeniable that parents nowadays have many responsibilities and are always busy. Still, you should make the effort to carve out quality time to spend with your children. One of the best options is to play board games for the whole family.
In the following section we will show you some of the options you have. However, first we want you to know the advantages of this type of games, as well as being a great alternative to screen-related entertainment, these are:
- Teach children to follow rules.
- Strengthen family bonding.
- Improve children’s cognitive development.
- Help them to be patient.
- Teach them how to solve challenges.
- Stimulate imagination.
- Improve their ability to concentrate.
- They allow them to control the frustration they feel when they lose.
- They help them to improve in some important areas, such as reading or mathematics.
Which board games to play as a family should you know?
One of the advantages of board games is that you can start your collection at any time and add new options over time. There are many board games on the market, but we have prepared a selection of the most popular ones:
- Who is who? This is one of the most popular games for families, as it can be played by young and old alike. You have to select a character and then discard others until you find him or her. It is also quite cheap, as you can find it for around 15 euros.
- Parcheesi. Parcheesi is another of the most popular board games. Its rules are very simple and can be played by two to four people, although there are some models that can be played by up to six. It is also suitable for the whole family and its price is very cheap.
- Monopoly. Buying and selling properties and being the best is the challenge of this game. In addition, there are many different versions, some based on children’s characters that your children will love. In this case, the price is also quite affordable, as you can find versions for around 15 or 20 euros.
- The “goose game”. Along with parcheesi, it is one of the classic games, and it is also very economical as it usually comes with parcheesi itself. Its rules could not be simpler and it is one of the first games that children usually learn to play.
- Trivia. There is no doubt that playing Trivia is for the brave. You have to have knowledge of many different subjects and also trust that luck will lead you to the cheeses you haven’t won yet. In this case, you will also find different versions, some simpler than others. There are even games with questions adapted to the youngest members of the household. The price is over 30 euros.
- Chess. Continuing with games for the brave, chess is another of the most outstanding. Its rules are more complex than those of most games, but bear in mind that even children are capable of mastering them. In fact, it is such a positive game that in some schools it is offered as an after-school activity. Although there are all kinds of models, the truth is that you will find very economical options.
- Dixit. Your teenagers will love this board game. It’s also great for getting to know the different members of the family better or discovering how your children think. It is also priced at around 30 euros.
- Draughts. The chessboard can also be used to play draughts. In this case, it is a much simpler game with fewer different moves. It is perfect for playing with the family, although as with chess, only two people can play at the same time.
This is just a small selection of some board games to play as a family, I’m sure you have your favourites too. The most important thing is that they will allow you to spend time together in a fun way.