Many children celebrate these days a holiday that has come from the United States to our countries. As well as dressing up in costumes, going around the houses asking for sweets and scary films, there are other plans to be made. In fact, parents are looking for Halloween food ideas for children. In the following lines we show you some suggestions for those days. From there, you can come up with your own recipes.
Why are you interested in knowing what Halloween meals for children you can prepare?
This celebration is a holiday that has come directly from the United States and has made its way to our countries, which is why it is interesting to know some Halloween foods for children that you can prepare.
In Spain, for example, it is traditionally celebrated as All Saints Day. It is a day when families remember their departed loved ones. They can do so from the heart or by going to the cemeteries to bring flowers. Of course, this is something that is still done today.
Halloween has Celtic origins and is also known as Samhain, meaning the end of summer. It was a festival held at the end of October to celebrate the change of season. But also what for them was a new year, as they believed that the fact that the leaves fell from the trees meant that the previous year ended and the next one began.
Even trick-or-treating also comes from that time, as the Celts visited homes in disguise. They would ask for food in exchange for doing something funny.
It is a holiday with a clear pagan origin, which is celebrated by some, but not by others. If for you it is one of the most fun times of the year, in the following lines we show you these Halloween food ideas for children.
What children’s food can you prepare for Halloween?
There are many dishes that you can make for Halloween for your children to enjoy. It is true that you will find a lot of ready-made food of this type in supermarkets, but it is all about having a good time with the little ones in the house. Keep in mind that cooking is one of the best hobbies they can have, as it trains them for their adult life.
Not forgetting that TV programmes dedicated to learning how to cook have also made an impression on your children, so they’re sure to love preparing some Halloween meals. Take note of these options:
- Snack. On that day or the days before, you can prepare a special themed snack. Many parents decorate the table to make it themed. They buy napkins, tablecloths, plates or cutlery dedicated to Halloween. For the little ones, the sight of these items is already an incentive. As we have said, it is important that they also participate. That’s why you can take them to the shop so they can choose them or simply let them be the ones to prepare everything. It doesn’t have to be perfect, they just need to have fun.
- Sandwich. Making sandwiches for a snack is always a great idea. Just do a little research and you will discover many options. You can turn these little sandwiches into tombs, scary characters or a skull. You just need to place some ingredients on top of the bread to make these shapes. For example, in the first case, cut the bread and then put a cross with peppers. In the second case, eyes with olives and big teeth with cheese will be enough. In the third case, you can use breadsticks to create the character.
- Cakes. Prepare a simple sponge cake. Then, you can cover it with white chocolate and finally design some spiders all over the surface. How to make the spiders? They can also be made of chocolate, but in this case dark chocolate. However, in order not to complicate things, buy some sweets in this shape.
- Cookies. Almost everyone knows how to make simple shortbread biscuits. The ingredients are very basic: butter, sugar and flour. You can add some flavouring such as vanilla. Once you have the pieces, use edible paint to make different scary patterns. The best thing to do is to have your own children do it, so it will be more fun.
- Pizzas. Pizzas are always a hit with the little ones at home. Almost all children love them and they are very playful. Take the opportunity to make a normal dough, add tomato on the base and cheese to have a blank canvas. From there you can draw spiders and other scary characters. Some make ghosts and others monsters. The important thing is that the look is not only scary, but also appetising.
So much for some Halloween food ideas for kids. I’m sure you’ll find some of them inspiring. Tell us, which ones do you usually prepare?