Being someone’s favourite person makes you feel special. We all need to experience these feelings throughout our lives and they help us to be happy. However, being the favourite of insects is a real nightmare. At Camping Villasol we always invite you to spend your next holiday with us. We also give you the answer to how to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. If you have always asked yourself this question, don’t miss the following lines.
What do you need to know before you find out how to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes all the time?
Before you find out how to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes, you may want to know a bit more about these insects and why they always seem to have a favourite victim. In other words, why they tend to attack the same person in the same house.
Mosquitoes are guided by their sense of smell. It seems that bites are related to two circumstances. The first is the amount of carbon dioxide emitted when breathing. The second is related to sweat and some of the substances produced by the individual, for example, lactic acid.
In addition, other issues play a role:
- Your breath.
- Your diet.
- The amount of physical exercise.
- The protein in your blood.
Nor is the reaction they provoke the same. The saliva of the mosquitoes causes each person to release a certain amount of histamine, on which the oedema that will later form around the bite depends.
Although some people end up in hospital after being bitten, this is not very common. The mosquitoes in our country do not usually produce very dangerous reactions in most cases.
How can I avoid being bitten by mosquitoes?
Now that you know why you are often bitten by mosquitoes, we want to show you 8 tips to avoid them when you are camping:
- Mosquito bracelet. Mosquito bracelets usually work very well. However, they have to be of good quality. It is best to buy them directly from the pharmacy or follow the advice of someone who has tried them.
- Mosquito repellent. As all precautions are few, in addition to the bracelet, we also recommend that you use mosquito repellent on your body. Here we say the same as in the previous point, it must be of quality. There are brands that have a recognized prestige, you can also ask your trusted pharmacy or a friend. Apply it carefully, avoiding the mouth and eye area. It cannot be used on burnt skin either. Don’t forget to buy a mosquito bite cream. It never hurts, as there is no foolproof method.
- Mosquito repellent plants. You can also have a mosquito repellent plant nearby. We recommend lavender, as it repels mosquitoes because of its intense smell. We also recommend citronella, as its scent is not tolerated by mosquitoes. Basil is another natural repellent that works very well. Moreover, in all these cases, you can use them in the form of essential oils.
- Run away from mosquitoes. You may think you are already running away from mosquitoes, but there is more you can do. Stay away from areas where the water is stagnant or where you see a large number of bugs flying around. Keep in mind that these insects increase their activity at the end of the day and during the night, so don’t forget this tip.
- Avoid sweet smells. Mosquitoes are not only attracted to the sweat on your skin, but also to sweet smells. That’s why you should avoid any body products that emit such fragrances. From the shampoo you use in the shower to cologne. It is better to use other alternatives. Otherwise, you will be inviting these insects to get closer to you.
- Light-coloured clothes at night. If you go out for a walk at night, it is best to wear light-coloured clothes with long sleeves. It seems that this kind of colours bother mosquitoes in the dark.
- Vaporising plugs. Mosquito plugs usually work quite well. On a campsite it is also possible to use them and to do so safely. Sleeping with these devices often prevents mosquitoes from biting you.
As there is nothing 100% effective and if you usually react badly to stings, take the antihistamines prescribed by your doctor. You will avoid complications if the oedema that appears is significant.
How can I avoid being bitten by mosquitoes? Now you know that following all the advice we have given you. From Camping Villasol we will do everything we can to help you achieve this.
anthony kilgallen says
thank you’ very helpful tips