In theory, any vehicle can be converted into a rolling mini-cabin. There are many ways to make this transformation. Therefore, in the following lines we want to show you how to turn your car into a camper van. You will enjoy travelling anywhere, always having your own accommodation.
What do you need to know before discovering how to make your car a camper?
Before we find out how to make your car a camper, we want you to be clear that it is easier to achieve this with a larger vehicle than with a smaller one.
However, in principle, almost all models can be converted. You just have to make a few modifications. Some will be simpler and others will be more complicated. Ideally, you should have an MPV, a 4 x 4 or a station wagon.
Therefore, in the following section we will start with this type of car to achieve the result you are looking for.
How to get a camper van?
Starting with the cars we have mentioned, in any of them you will find more than enough space for two people to travel for a few days or even more. You will be able to have a bed and some storage space.
Let’s see how you can camperise your vehicle with these tips:
- Bed. The first thing you need to be able to spend the night in your car is a bed. It is also the most important element. Make sure it is as comfortable as possible. It is difficult to spend more than two days sleeping on a mattress that is too thin or too hard. You can use an inflatable mattress that you install in the back seats of the car. However, if you have the space, it is best to make a base for the bed and then place a good mattress on top of it. It doesn’t have to be the same as the one at home, but it does have to be of a certain quality. You can also keep the structure fixed or store it in the boot.
- Portable battery. You need a portable battery to illuminate the interior of the vehicle and not waste your own car battery. It can also be used to charge various mobile devices.
- Solar panel. Ideally, this external battery can be charged with a solar panel. This way, during the day you can accumulate the energy you need for the whole day.
- Kitchen. Depending on the size of your vehicle, you can include a small kitchen. A cooker and little else is all you will need to make simple dishes. Also, you can take it outside so you don’t have to cook inside.
- Fridge. You should find a small corner to store your cooler. It is essential to carry a few provisions to survive during your adventure. Although, since you’re driving, you can stop to shop whenever you need to. You can also stop at petrol stations to buy some ice to keep all your food in good condition. Not forgetting that you can enjoy a cool drink when you take a break along the way. We recommend you buy a thermoelectric cooler, which doesn’t cost too much. It can be connected to the cigarette lighter when the vehicle is running or to the external battery.
- Window mats. If you want to enjoy a good night’s sleep and not be seen, you need window mats. They should cover enough of the vehicle so that it’s virtually dark.
- Solar shower. This is a real invention. You leave the bag in the sun filled with water for a couple of hours and then all you have to do is take a shower, but don’t waste a moment, as this amount won’t give you too much to look at. We also recommend that you take one per person.
- Toilets. The truth is that it is always best to look for a public toilet. But you can also incorporate a chemical toilet in your camper. It is a bit unpleasant to empty it afterwards. However, it is perfect for getting out of a hurry. Both for showers and for your more personal needs, you will forget to take these items with you if you spend the night on a campsite.
- Organisers. Fill your camper with organisers of all kinds. Take advantage of any nook and cranny left to place a storage box. This is the only way you will be able to carry luggage for a few days.
- Toolbox. If any of the elements of your campsite can be dismantled, don’t forget to bring a small toolbox to do the job.
Is it worth camperising a car?
The truth is that campervanning your car will help you save a lot of money on all kinds of accommodation. If we’re honest, it’s more convenient if you have a van or a vehicle big enough to leave the items installed.
At Camping Villasol we have shown you how to make your car a camper. We also invite you to spend a few days with us on your next holiday.
Leave a Reply