Many times we look for innovative ways to educate our children, but sometimes it’s worth remembering some of the past, betting on traditional things that, in their essence, do not lose their usefulness and transmit values and ideas that we still want to maintain. Stories and riddles for children are an example of this which, as well as being a cheap method, entertain the little ones.
Riddles never go out of fashion and are usually memorable, stimulating abstract thinking, intelligence and the ability to analyse by solving problems. Although they are usually easy, they will always activate our children’s ability to decipher, and if they fail, we can take advantage of this by explaining why, so that they understand reasoning from an early age.
Telling riddles for children is a hobby that can be used at any time: on the road, while waiting for something, while quietly on the couch, etc. The important thing is that these riddles for children become something enjoyable to spend time with the family and in which everyone participates.
Advantages of early guessing
As we have said, riddles for children are a very positive method to help them develop cognitive abilities. Their rhymes and rhythm are ideal to be remembered and to be transmitted correctly, not only to the children, but also to their friends. In the end, they are funny word games that ask about something deductible from them, but that hide a great deal of advantages:
- They stimulate the imagination: many riddles distort reality to give some humor to the question, making the child have to imagine the answer in a funny way and applying logic.
- They help analyse information: riddles are usually questions that give you a clue to the answer, either by using a metaphor or by associating an unrealistic situation with an element that does not correspond to it. Analysis and deduction play an important role in finding the solution.
- They stimulate curiosity: if the riddle is a little complicated, you will surely not get it right the first time and keep on trying. Each failed attempt increases the curiosity to know the solution, a great way to learn how to manage patience and analysis, as we said before.
- They make you think critically: when a riddle is posed, a system of deduction and elimination is established in which the first answers are usually discarded based on a reasoning that enhances the critical capacity of the youngest. “This answer cannot be because…”
- They favour the capacity of association: when the child begins to think the solution to the riddle he or she begins to make relationships between what is posed and the different elements that are posed prior to the question. “Can an animal wear shoes? No, but if he has many, then…”.
Riddles for children to entertain and learn
There are thematic riddles whose solution can be animals, everyday objects, vehicles, etc. Today we are going to give you some varied examples that you can use with your children to obtain all the advantages mentioned. Here we go:
- I have four legs but never walk I may be covered in flowers but have no soil I hold food three times a day but never eat a meal. What am I? Answer: the table.
- Rooster lays an egg at the very top of a slanted roof. Which side is the egg going to roll off on? Answer: roosters don’t lay eggs.
- If I have it, I don’t share it. If I share it, I don’t have it. What is it? Answer: a secret.
- They come out at night without being called, and are lost in the day without being stolen. What are they? Answer: the stars.
- What is so delicate that even mentioning it breaks it? Answer: silence.
- What has to be broken before you can use it? Answer: an egg.
- I am something that floats. But after a period of time I fall. Answer: a balloon.
- What jumps when it walks and sits when it stands? Answer: a kangaroo.
- With head without hair. With mouth without tooth. Answer: a bottle.
- What flies around all day but never goes anywhere? Answer: a flag
- What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries? Answer: a towel.
- What’s always coming, but never arrives? Answer: tomorrow.
As you can see, there are riddles of all kinds, from those that use rhymes and almost indicate the solution in the question itself to others in which the brain has to be warmed up a little more. Whichever one you choose, I’m sure the little ones will love trying to guess the answer to one of these riddles for children that we have indicated. If you know any more, don’t hesitate to put them in the comments! Without a doubt, a good time to entertain yourself while you come to Camping Villasol 🙂